Wednesday, December 16, 2009

these scriptures texts have lit my path



"Nothing is more practical than finding God, that is, than falling in a love in a quite absolute, final way. What you are in love with, what seizes your imagination will affect everything. It will decide what will get you out of bed in the mornings, what you will do with your evenings, how you spend your weekends, what you read, who you know, what breaks your heart, and what amazes you with joy and gratitude. Fall in love, stay in love, and it will decide everything.” - Pedro Arrupe

i got this quote from Junior Encounter. i took this quote and related to what i want to do after i graduate from Bellarmine, which is ultimately to become an illustrator. I come alive through art, connecting with my inner child as I draw, literally giggling the entire way through the process. My mind is unconscious of reality and my pencil possesses me. I do not know the difference from right or wrong, no boundaries exist at the time. My perspective of the chaotic world vanishes and I escape to my own. My mind is like my desk in my room. Two shelves rest upon my desk filled with a colorful variety of toys such as a Sailor moon doll, a Ziggy bank, a whistle shaped as an Oscar Mayer Weinermobile, a Garfield clock, a stack of Garfield comic books, a Ronald McDonald plush, a miniature cow bobble-head, Peanuts 50th anniversary toys, and several Hello Kitty toys from McDonalds. Each toy allows me to relive my blissful childhood experience. One my fondest memory of my childhood would have to be waking up on Saturday morning to watch cartoons with my two older brothers, Adam and David. We gathered our favorite toys; hot wheels and mine was my Sailor Moon doll and ripped our comforters off our beds and created a nest with our blankets closely to the T.V. that generously provided us with our favorite cartoons friends. Remembering a precious memory such as this and incorporating this emotion into my thinking process, I believe my drawings can create a dialogue with viewer, and impact them at a personal level, to reignite childhood memories of their own.
Being able to think like a child gives me a sense of freedom. Freedom from adulthood stresses, allowing me to escape from my hectic life of responsibilities and enter a state of mind that I am able to think clearly. It acts as a kind of therapy for me which leads me to believe that it can become therapeutic for others as well. I feel it is possible to develop a strong artistic style that will rub off onto others and implant the idea that, your imagination is never too far away. My goal is to trigger an account of a fond childhood memory of my viewers, reconnecting them with their inner child just like I do as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment